Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Your voice counts!


This would be the fourth article I have started writing over the past two days. Somehow, something new would come to mind as being the most important thing that I need to share with you but halfway through, I would become somewhat restless in my writing and then stop altogether. During my quiet time this morning however, I was reminded of two experiences I have had this year and what ministered to me was ‘You have a Voice’. I wrote this down and honestly didn’t think about it for the rest of the day. A little while ago, I again abandoned the third attempted article halfway through, because I knew deep inside that what I was writing was not the God-ordained message for the day. As I sat looking at my computer screen and trying to figure what it is the Lord wanted me to pen, my phone beeped. Reading through the email that just came in, I knew this was a definite confirmation that what God spoke to my spirit this morning was a Word that is meant for someone out there. It is meant for you...... or for you to share with someone in your space.  My message to you is that ‘You have a voice! And, it counts!

Let me start at the beginning. A few weeks ago, I attended a Girlfriends Night Out organized by TW Magazine (a Christian women’s lifestyle publication that I write for). I really wasn’t in the mood that day, but I had promised the editor who is a friend that I would be there. I was more reluctant because my ‘girls’ were not available to attend with me. But, I just had a sense that I needed to be there - albeit briefly, and so with Hubby’s blessing off I went. I walked in and sat at the first available seat I came across (right by the doors and convenient for my planned quick exit, lol). I smiled, said hello and introduced myself to the ladies seated with me on the couch. I don’t quite recall how it came about, but the lovely lady beside me who I had been chatting rather amiably with, suddenly asked if I was the one who wrote my column in TW Mag. I smiled and said yes, I was. Over the course of the next few minutes, she shared with me how her sister loved to read my column and was blessed by my articles. She told how her sister often said that it was like I lived in her house and my articles often spoke right to the heart of a situation she was dealing with or had faced in her own life. Wow! Because I know she is reading this blog, I want to say ‘Thank You Ndidi. You will never truly appreciate how much it means to me that you chose to share this testimonial with me’. We had a few good laughs as she insisted on taking my picture to send to her sister to convince her that she was actually seated right beside me. Yep! This sister truly honoured me and I so love her for that. The message to me was unambiguous – that my certainly voice mattered to someone somewhere.

Earlier in the year and during my time in South Africa, I met a wonderful set of women many of whom just stood out for me in their own rights. I recall that one evening, my sista Bidemi and I were sharing about our blogs, and one of my South African sisters in particular had said that she always wanted to write but she was not sure she really had anything to say, or if she really had what it takes, or if what she would write would be of any relevance. I had encouraged her to just go with it and trust God (who put the desire in her heart in the first place) to guide and direct the words and counsel that would flow through from her. She was emboldened enough to commit to writing something and sending to me to review, and I in turn committed to helping her make her dream a reality. Girl, I was so proud of the article this sister sent. Turns out she is a natural writer and she is clearly Spirit-led. As the email of her most recent post came in this evening and as I again marvelled at her penmanship, my mandate for this particular blog became clear. Bongiwe has found her voice and she has given it expression in her writing. What are you waiting for sis?

I think about the parable of the talents. It is interesting to me that the master gave responsibilities to each of his servants. I believe this is representative of the fact that God has given each of us particular gifts and abilities. We – you and I, each received an impartation of His Spirit. His Word tells us clearly that in Christ Jesus we can do all things and indeed, we are able to do greater works than He did in His time here on earth. God created man to have dominion on the earth and being a perfecter of all things, no doubt He imparted unto each of us what it is that we need to have dominion that here on earth. The challenge as I see it is that all too often, because we tend to put God in a box, we put ourselves in an even smaller box. We have no idea of our power, or we are too afraid to find out. We are running scared so much of the time of the rejection of men, when we already have the assurance of acceptance in Christ.

The same God Who spoke all of creation into being, has also given us the ability to speak into our purpose and into the manifestation of purpose in the lives of all His other children here on earth. If this is the case, why are you hesitant about using your voice sis? Or why are you not giving your voice full expression? Truth is that you never know who your words will minister to; whose life you will improve or radically change; whose destiny you will release just by letting them ‘hear’ you. Yes, there are some great writers and public speakers out there whose depth and expertise will, if you allow, cowl you into thinking you won’t be good enough. Pls don’t buy into the lie of the devil and don’t allow any one near you to do so either.


Today, I am sent to encourage you to go to God in prayer and ask Him to help you. In the simplest of words that the Holy Spirit will minister to you, your voice will count and you will surely make a difference. Pick up that pen; that voice recorder; set out to typing on that laptop; accept that opportunity to speak to a group. Commit in one way or the other to speaking up and speaking out. Someone in the world needs to ‘hear’ you..... even if you never get to know that they did. Whatsoever is just, whatsoever is true, whatsoever is loving, whatsoever is of good report, whatsoever adds value, whatsoever builds up and edifies, whatsoever propagates the gospel, whatsoever gives all glory to God....... think on these things and then speak! You have an awesome voice sis. And it does count. Use it!   The Lord will help you. He it is that will direct your voice to the point of its impact. Please don’t limit His call upon your life today. Speak sis! The World is waiting to hear YOU!

Be blessed............. for you surely are!

1 comment:

  1. You can say that again Sis! Each and everyone of us has got a voice, given to us by God. We must let it speak. We must refuse to let the devil use circumstances to mute it.

    You just never know, THAT word from you might be the ONLY word for someone. If you do not speak it out, who will? If you do not venture into that business, who will?

    I am always amazed out how you can talk about a thing thinking 'doesnt everybody know this already, why bother?' and then someone comes back to tell you THAT word spoke to them! Like I say to myself often 'forget about yourself and let God be God in yourlife' Speak! Act! Do!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to share you thoughts. You are loved and appreciated.

About Me

Entrepreneur, Mentor, Wife, Mother, Sister, Friend. A firm believer in God. Walking in faith everyday that by His grace, I will achieve harmony in all areas of my life, and make measurable impact in the lives of other women of the world